An officer with the rank of an artist.. The story of Salah Zulfiqar’s participation in the police battle in Ismailia

The Ministry of the Interior celebrates during these days, bPolice day Number 71, which brings to mind The eternal battle of IsmailiaWhere the policemen wrote heroic scenes and positions in the Ismailia epic, and one of the Egyptian officers in this battle at the time was the artist Salah Zulfiqar, who was in the rank of captain at the time, where Salah Zulfiqar was born on January 18, 1926, to the father of a police officer with the rank of brigadier general, and he was the fifth brother of four Brothers “Mahmoud – Ezz El-Din – Kamal – Mamdouh”, and he dreamed of entering the Faculty of Medicine, so he joined the Faculty of Medicine in Alexandria, but because of his father’s illness and death, he stopped studying for a period, and the percentage of his absence from the college increased, and he was expelled.

Salah Zulfiqar applied to the Police College, passed the exams, and graduated in 1946, among the class of ministers Ahmed Rushdi, the Prophet Ismail, and Zaki Badr. He worked in Tora Prison, and was appointed as a teacher at the Police College.

Salah Zulfiqar was the supervisor of the prison in which President Sadat was arrested in his youth when he was accused in the case of the murder of Amin Othman.

The story of the police battle begins on the morning of Friday, corresponding to January 25, 1952, when the British commander in the Canal Zone, “Brigadier Exham,” summoned the Egyptian liaison officer, and handed him an ultimatum in order for the Egyptian police forces in Ismailia to hand over their weapons to the British forces, and leave the Canal Zone and withdraw to Cairo. The governorate, however, rejected the British warning and conveyed it to Fouad Serageldin, the Minister of the Interior at that time, who asked it to stand firm, resist and not surrender.

This incident was the most important reason for the outbreak of disobedience among the police forces, or which were called regime blocks at the time, which made Exham and his forces besiege the city and divide it into the Arab neighborhood and the Al-Franj neighborhood, and put barbed wire between the two regions so that none of the people of the province reach the upscale neighborhood Place of residence of foreigners.

These reasons are not only what led to the outbreak of the battle, but there were other reasons after the abolition of the Treaty of 36 on October 8, 1951, Britain became very angry and considered the abolition of the treaty as the beginning of igniting war on the Egyptians, and with it the provisions of the British colonizer’s grip on Egyptian cities, including the Canal cities, which were a major center for the British camps. The first episodes of the struggle against the colonialists began, and massive demonstrations began to demand the evacuation of the British.

On October 16, 1951, the first spark of rebellion against the colonizer’s presence began with the burning of Al-Nafi, a depot of supplies and marine food for the British. It was located in Orabi Square in the center of Ismailia. It was burned after demonstrations by workers and students and completely eliminated, so that the English grip on the people of the country would rise and the screws would increase on them, so they decided to organize their efforts to fight The British were the events of January 25, 1952.

The brutal massacre began at seven o’clock in the morning, and the field guns of 25 pounds and the huge 100-millimeter cannons of tanks (Centurion) bombed the governorate building and the barracks of the regime’s blocks without pity or mercy, and after the walls collapsed and rivers of blood flowed, he ordered General Exham ordered to stop the beating for a short period in order to announce to the policemen trapped inside his last warning, which is to surrender and leave with their hands up and without their weapons, otherwise his forces will resume the beating with maximum force.

The arrogant British commander was astonished when the reply came to him from a young officer, who was small in rank, but full of enthusiasm and patriotism, and he was Captain Mustafa Refaat. And the British resumed the outrageous massacre, so the cannons fired, the tanks roared, and the bombs rained down on the buildings until they turned them into rubble, while their limbs were scattered in their corners and their land was stained with pure blood. ‏

Despite that hell, the police heroes remained steadfast in their positions, resisting with their old Lee-Enfield rifles against the strongest cannons and the latest British weapons until their ammunition ran out, and 56 of them fell martyrs and 80 wounded in the battle, while others fell from The British officers killed 13 dead and 12 wounded, and the British captured the surviving officers and soldiers, headed by their commander, Major General Ahmed Raef, and they were not released until February 1952.

General Exham could not hide his admiration for the courage of the Egyptians, so he said to Lieutenant Colonel Sherif Al-Abd, the liaison officer, “The Egyptian policemen fought with honor and surrendered with honor, and therefore it is our duty to respect all of them, officers and soldiers.” And the soldiers of a British platoon, by order of General Exham, performed the military salute to the column of Egyptian policemen when they left the governorate house and passed in front of them, in honor of them and an appreciation for their courage, so that the heroism of the martyrs of the Egyptian policemen in their battle against the British occupation remains fresh in the minds to be preserved and cherished by adults and youth. The memory of the Egyptian child and celebrates it.

Related Articles

Back to top button